Former Black stars striker, and captain, Asamoah Gyan has been phenomenal during his time of play and even after retirement. He has proven sportsmanship and passion as liaises young footballers to the football world as to achieving their dream.
He has also been on several football platforms to educate and partner with top class athletes during football events.During his time of play, Asamoah Gyan received several accolades, awards and trophies making him one of the greatest footballers in the world and Africa as a continent.
Below are top ten (10)records made by Asamoah;
- Asamoah Gyan is Ghanas All Time Top Scorer: Abedi Pele use to hold the record after Asamoah surpassed him to achieve such milestone with 51 goals in the history of Ghana Football.
2. First Ghanaian To Score At The World Cup: Asamoah Gyan scored Ghana’s first goal at the 2006 World Cup against Czech Republic.
WATCH VIDEO HERE:
3. Ghana’s Most Capped player: Playing 109 games for the black stars of Ghana, Asamoah Gyan has no competition in Ghana’s football history with the most appearance .
4. Africa’s Top Scorer At The World Cup: with only three appearances at the World Cup, Asamoah Gyan has six (6) goals in the competition which hardly to be broken anytime soon.
5. First Player To Score In 9 Consecutive Major International Tournaments: With this record, Asamoah only bodies with Cristiano Ronaldo in a tie for this phenomenal milestone.
6. Al Ain’s 2nd all-time top scorer:
Gyan won almost every domestic trophy with Al Ain and scored lots of goals too at the UAE club. Little surprise, therefore, that he remains the club’s second highest scorer of all time.
The Ghanaian scored 128 goals in all competitions for Al Ain, which puts him only behind Ahmed Abdullah who netted 180 times for the club.
7. BBC African Player of the Year
In 2010, Gyan was voted BBC African Footballer of the Year following his impressive performances that year.
Gyan scored three goals as Ghana reached the final of the 2010 AFCON and also netted three times at the World Cup in South Africa later in the year.
He beat off competition from compatriot Andre Ayew, Ivory Coast’s Didier Drogba and Yaya Toure, and Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o to scoop the award.
8.One of the fastest players to reach 50 international goals
Did you know that Gyan reached 50 international goals faster than many football greats, including Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo?
The Ghanaian reached 50 goals for Ghana in just 103 appearances, which is almost an average of a goal every two games.
In comparison, Ronaldo took 114 matches to reach 50 goals for Portugal, while Messi needed 121 games to reach that mark for Argentina.
9. 5th highest scorer in UAE league
Gyan spent four years playing in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) after swapping Premier League side Sunderland for Al Ain in 2011.
And he made his mark in the Asian country, even becoming the UAE Pro League’s fifth highest scorer with 100 goals.
10. Ghana player of the decade
In 2021, Gyan was named Player of the Decade at the Ghana Football Awards for his outstanding performances for his country.
It was a tough category, but the veteran striker stood out as he claimed the award to cement his place in history.